Thank you for taking action this SUDEP Action Day!
We hope people from around the world get involved in SUDEP Action Day 2020.
By uniting with one voice to #SpeakUp2SaveLives locally, nationally, and internationally, we move closer to bringing epilepsy and SUDEP out of the shadows to help save lives.
Below are some ideas for how you can get involved in this year’s campaign. Don’t forget to tell us what your plans!
Use our Facebook event page to share your ideas, images and support others who are getting involved.
We look forward to you joining us this year!
This year's theme (2020) - #SpeakUp2SaveLives
As leaders in SUDEP and epilepsy deaths for over 25 years, SUDEP Action know the topic of SUDEP raises questions and can be worrying for many to think about. But SUDEP Action Day is here to help people take positive steps towards reducing epilepsy risks.
The pandemic has highlighted huge inequalities and we know that SUDEP, epilepsy risks and epilepsy deaths are one of the neglected areas, made worse by COVID-19. Thousands of people with epilepsy, their carers and health workers have report through SUDEP Action’s international research project that:
- epilepsy risks have worsened,
- people with epilepsy are having more trouble accessing the care and services they need
- health professionals are worried their patients are not seeking help if they’re epilepsy is getting worse
- and bereaved families say pain they have lived with for decades has been made worse during 2020
That is why this year we want you to #SpeakUp2SaveLives and encourage vital conversations on epilepsy risks and SUDEP.
Whether you have a little time, or a lot; if you can #SpeakUp2SaveLives you will be raising much needed awareness which could help people with epilepsy around the world live safely and – help save lives!
Together we can #SpeakUp2SaveLives this SUDEP Action Day
How you can #SpeakUp2SaveLives:
In just a few simple actions, you can make a real difference to others this SUDEP Action Day!
Quick ways to #SpeakUp2Save Lives:
1. Liking, share or retweet our social media posts on the day to help spread our key messages worldwide. Use the hashtags – #SUDEPActionDay2020 and/or #SpeakUp2SaveLives – Don’t forget to change your social media profile picture to the event logo!
2. Pledge your support by clicking ‘attending’ on the SUDEP Action Day Facebook event page and by sharing an image on social media of you wearing something orange with the message ‘Together we can #SpeakUp2SaveLives this #SUDEPActionDay2020.’
If you have a little more time to #SpeakUp2SaveLives:
1. Could you share your story with us about why knowing about epilepsy risks and SUDEP is so important? Contact us at email@example.com.
2. Help us to continue to #SpeakUp2SaveLives by holding a #SUDEPActionDay2020 My Way to 5K awareness event.
3. Write to your local MP or Councillor or policy maker to raise awareness of SUDEP Action Day, epilepsy risks and SUDEP – using our free templates. Can they support the day too?
4. Can your local area help support SUDEP Action Day by raising awareness (eg: our My Way to 5K challenge)? Why not ask:
– Local newsletters, notice boards or newspapers
– Schools, Colleges, Universities
– or local groups such as sports clubs, choirs, dance classes…
Don’t forget – However you plan on getting involved this SUDEP Action Day, please let us know what your plans are! Either via social media or email us here – we’d love to know how you’re helping people around the world.
On Friday 23rd October 2020, SUDEP Action is teaming-up with the SUDEP Awareness Walk for a special SUDEP Action Day MyWayto5K event.
Walk, run, cycle, scoot, hike, climb, use a wheelchair or push a pram, on the Day, or over a few days – however you choose to reach your 5K, together we will be remembering and raising vital awareness to help save lives.